Hi all. I also have eyestrain from all LED screens.
I am 32, Male. Working in sales. Have glasses prescription for distance but this is it. My eyes are fine.
This problem is hard to diagnose. I will try to summarize.
I have 3 screens which I can use without any eye discomfort:
1) LCD display Samsung SyncMaster P2350 connected to VGA output of NVIDIA 8300GS or ASUS EAH5450 cards (Windows 7).
2) Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop with LCD screen (Nvidia 8300) – can work whole day without eyestrain (Windows 7).
3) Google Nexus 5 – can watch movies on it for many hours
There is also Acer Aspire One from 2012 with intel 2000 and LED screen but I can use it for 3-4 hours before my eyes are tired (Windows 7). Eyes feel more comfortable using UBUNTU on this laptop. Maybe because of darker color scheme.
All new LED screens kill my eyes in 20 mins.
Now the interesting part begins.
1) If I connect Samsung SyncMaster P2350 to any Intel graphics using VGA/DVI/HDMI I get bad eyestrain
2) If I connect Samsung SyncMaster P2350 to DVI or HDMI output of NVIDIA 8300GS or ASUS EAH5450 cards I get bad eyestrain
3) If I use any new laptop, PC, Mac with LED screen I get eyestrain, red eyes and even lose sleep
4) If I connect any new LED monitor via VGA to my Dell 1420 or PC with ASUS EAH5450 card, I get same problems
5) My phone Huawei PE-TL10 has LED backlight and gives me pain in the eyes, problem is partially solved with blue-light filter glass protector. I am not watching movies on it anymore.
I think there might be 4 reasons and sometimes they mix:
1) Flicker (PWM in LCD and LED monitors)
2) Blue light
3) Intel drivers
4) Digital output
Nobody around me has these problems and everybody is very happy with their new Macs and PCs.
Btw, I have eyestrain and pain using LED bulbs and lamps. All other light sources are fine.
All my attempts to find reasons have failed. I am forced to use my old heavy Dell 1420 laptop and pray it will work long)
I tried few flicker-free, low blue light monitors like ASUS and Benq last year but no success. After 20 mins, my eyes are red and tired. Ordered Jins PC glasses – same. This is a big mistery to me.