reaganry Yeah, it is awful. I'm a firm believer that LED's are simply the latest dangerous product that have infiltrated the marketplace, and it's going to take time before thier harmful effects are better understood and they are finally banned.
History has a long list of dangerous products being put to commercial use. Arsenic used to be a primary component of wallpaper. In Victorian times literal poison was used as a makeup to whiten skin. Lead was routinely used in plumbing for drinking water, and well into the 20th century lead was used in paints, varnishes, and most disturbing of all, leaded gasoline. Literally vaporizing a nuerotoxin and pumping it into the air. Lead solder was used to seal cans of food. Asbestos was considered a miracle product when it came out ans was used in everything from roofing shingles, house siding, insulation, brake pads, even blankets. The first plastics contained formaldehyde. When radioactivity was discovered manufacturers started adding Thorium to toothpaste.
I am firmly in the camp that LED's are simply the next in a long list of dangerous products that have been commercialized, and we are unfortunate enough to have to live through the time it will take for the wider population to recognize their hazards and have the removed.